A father has suffered serious burns to about 70 per cent of his body after a barbecue explosion at a home in Perth’s northeast.
Authorities including fire crews, paramedics and police raced to the Dayton property just after midday on Sunday following reports a man had been burnt trying to start a barbecue.
WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: Perth man suffers serious burns in barbecue explosion.
Watch the latest news and stream for free on 7plus >>
Kiara Fire Station officer Kevin Jolly said the man had used an accelerant and “it’s blown up on him and caught him on fire”.
“Fairly tragic. He’s suffered quite severe burns to the body.”
Paramedics assessed the man’s wife for shock, but she has since been cleared.
A Perth father suffered serious burns to 70 per cent of his body in a barbecue explosion. Credit: 7NEWS
Jolly said it was the third barbecue fire emergency crews had dealt with so far this winter.
“Definitely, people need to take a lot of care, especially using accelerant,” he said.
“The other two were gas and not properly maintained, so it needs to highlight the fact residents need to make sure their equipment is in order and just take care.”
The man remains in a serious condition in Fiona Stanley Hospital.
Five dead as house explosion devastates several homes
Boy, 6, dies of flu after being sent home from hospital
If you’d like to view this content, please adjust your Cookie Settings.